The St. Andrew Bay Chapter, NSDAR, was established in 1948, by Regent Lou Ellen Powell Coleman after attending a church meeting in Lakeland, Florida. There she met Florida State Society Daughters of the American Revolution (FSSDAR) Vice Regent Mrs. David Wright, who encouraged Lou Ellen to organize a chapter in Panama City. Twenty charter members held their first meeting and installed the first chapter officers on November 12, 1948.
Our chapter name was chosen in recognition of our beautiful bay, situated in Bay County in the Panhandle of Florida. Named by the Spanish explorers who first sailed in on St. Andrew’s Feast Day in the early 16th century, the area was then home to Native Americans and later pirates and vagabonds, until European settlement began in earnest in the early 1800s.
For over 70 years our chapter has served the Panama City area by promoting the objectives of the DAR: historic preservation, patriotism, and education. We currently have over 100 members and are always seeking to increase our membership.