The DeSoto Chapter NSDAR organized February 21, 1903, was the first chapter in Hillsborough County, with Mrs. James McKay as the first regent. The chapter was chartered January 2, 1912, ranking 1003 in the National Society. Mayor D. B. McKay and representatives gave the Historic Little School House to the DeSoto Chapter, September 8, 1931. At that time, it was moved to its present site on the west side of The University of Tampa, close to McKay Auditorium. The Historic Little School House was formally named to the National Register of Historic Places, August 28, 1975. On Washington’s Birthday, February 22, 1983, the chapter placed an historical marker on the north side of the building.